I SURVIVED


After trying for almost 6 six months, I finally got a chance to do an intern ship with India's one of the most reputed news channel. I was overjoyed by the kind of response I got from my friends and class fellows about how great an opportunity it is and how lucky I am to get.

Unfortunately that feeling took less than an hour after joined the office. within 3 hours I was scolded by my boss for submitting junk in form of a report. after 6 hours I was loaded with work that I had skip my lunch just cope up with my work. as the ninth hour of my first working day ended I was given an ultimatum of 10 days by my boss. she said," I am giving you an ultimatum of 10 days. If I don't find any improvement in you then i will throw you out of my office." as if the first statement was not enough for me to comprehend the intensity of the situation, she continued, " when I say it I mean it."

That was perhaps one the longest days in life. I Reached home at 9:30 pm when i started at 9 at the morning.

Lying on the bed I was wondering if I would ever be able reach the 10th day of my internship. 

Miserably I crawled towards the 5th day of my internship when finally my boss without ridiculing my work just said, " it was OK. still room for improvement." I will never be able to explain her what her words meant to me that day. but again within a few hours of that feeble flame of encouragement it was devoured by the wrath of disdainful berating.

Just like my performance weather outside also remained gloomy and discouraging. By the 7th day I stopped counting my days in the office as i knew they were numbered.  regardless of the fact how minuscule the improvement was, my performance improved. thrashing from my boss dropped. I felt less pathetic as the days went on. 

All of a sudden one day my boss called me up and asked that for how many days was I working in the office. I knew what was coming. I mentally took note that exactly what possessions I had in the office and that I should started packing my things. Gulping down my throat  I answered, " 18 days". As I said that I realised that I survived in the office for 18 days when should have been thrown out within 10 days if not the first day. I grinned in my mind.

My boss looked at me and I realised even she was amazed by the same fact. finally I saw her smile for the first time as she said, "impressive. I thought it was just a week was tolerating you. want to continue working here for the rest of the month?" immediately I said "yes" fearing she might change her mind if i delayed my answer.

Well after that even I realised that yes my work has improved and my days in the office because less miserable as they were initially. I must have improved a lot because she gave me a months extension when officially I should have left the office at the end of the 30th day in the office. After such a pathetic performance and a 10 day ultimatum I never thought I would be able to manage such a long way, but I am glad that after all this thing, I SURVIVED.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#SnippetsOnLife2 - Life and Darkness

Have you ever thought about the bright side of darkness in your life? Recently I had the opportunity to ponder upon the reality and even th...