The Bet

"Get up. You are already late"

"Just 5 more minutes ma"

"No. Get up."

"Promise I will go tomorrow. Let me sleep."

"You know what your 'tomorrow' will never come."


This is a regular scene in our house since I came back home after my graduation.

My mother had a obsessive compulsive disorder regarding me getting obese. She was always apprehensive about me becoming obese just like the 90% Bengali girls in  our family, neighbourhood or in the community as a whole. so the first thing she did was she put me in a dance academy even before enrolling my name in school. but due to my father's job the family have been travelling all across India for the past 30 years of my father's service (obviously even since before my birth). Well I don't regret it nor does ma except that for that my dance training was very much hampered. For example I have repeated my 1st, 4th and 7th twice as i failed to even sit for my exams. many a times it happened that i my father came back from his office with his transfer certificate just before a week or a fortnight before my exams.

anyway the point is my mother made me dance till I could manage my studies and dance simultaneously. moreover I had already completed my kathak (a classical Indian dance form) training till the advance levels by the time I reached my first board exams. With my mother's permission I left dancing and devoured my entire time on studies. but never returned to dancing classes.

That sent my mother to alarming paranoia about my figure. Which eventually turned out to be right. soon I started gaining weight so she decided to send to hostel so that I will start taking care of my figure. well that plan succeeded but again ma was disturbed by the deteriorating health but she made sure that I am fine.

But again when she thought I have gained the perfect figure and that I am also becoming very conscious about my figure I came back home to pursue my masters degree. but after three years of rigorous hostel life I also gave up all the restrictions and devoured all the mother made delicious Bengali cuisines. end result obesity.

If my mother was obsessed about the perfect figure then I had a very nasty pride about winning all the bets i ever made.

May be my mother got that idea when I told her jokingly one day if someone really wanted to make me do something then they should challenge me. my mother did the same. And we ended up with a bet.

The challenge was that I should loose 5 kg's in one month.

Well my mother forgot that I was supposed to live in a hostel from next week for I have opted for an intership. well my boss helped me out to win this bet. she made me work 12 hours a day for the next one month. I remained so loaded with work that I had to skip my lunch. I used to be so tired by the end of the day that I had hardly anything for dinner. Thanks Boss.

I was able to reduce 7.31 kg's that month. incontestably I won the bet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

#SnippetsOnLife2 - Life and Darkness

Have you ever thought about the bright side of darkness in your life? Recently I had the opportunity to ponder upon the reality and even th...